You may be spending a lot more time at home, but that doesn't mean the fun and learning have to stop. Our Early Education and Youth Services teams have put together some great activities to keep young ones from toddlers to teens engaged.
Join Our Home Instruction for Preschool Youngsters' (HIPPY) Facebook group for great activities to kids from 2-5 learning:
- HIPPY Facebook Group
Join our Youth Leadership Development on Facebook or Twitter for activities and ideas geared toward school-age through teenagers
Our youth in-action at home enjoying the activities
United Way's Education and Entertainment Resources for Parents & Children at Home
Following is a list of resources that have been compiled from multiple sources as of March 20, 2020 by United Way of Greater Cincinnati. Availability may change, and restrictions may apply. The resources do require internet access, and some require supplies in the home.
If you need access to other supports and services, please call 211 to connect to services or search our online service directory at http://www.referweb.net/uwgc/.
Computer, Internet & Printing
- 60 days free Spectrum broadband - https://corporate.charter.com/newsroom/charter-to-offer- free-access-to-spectrum-broadband-and-wifi-for-60-days-for-new-K12-and-college-student- households-and-more - or call 1-844-488-8395 (restrictions may apply based on service area).
- Free or low-cost internet access. - https://www.internetessentials.com/ - Restriction may apply.
- Staples – Free printing for students without printer access.
Facebook Groups for Parent Support & Resources
- Parents & Kids Coronavirus Support - https://www.facebook.com/groups/227258275128904/?fref=nf - A group for sharing ideas on how to keep kids entertained and academically stimulated during the school closures.
- Making Today Fun - https://www.facebook.com/groups/369852300168336/about/ - Support and resources for parents of young children.
- Amazing Educational Resources - https://www.facebook.com/groups/445786889466638/about/
- A community of educators for sharing information about educational resources on the internet.
Early Learning Specific Resources
- My PreK - https://www.facebook.com/pg/myprek/posts/?ref=page_internal - Posting daily at home learning activities for toddlers and preschoolers.
- 4C for Children - https://www.4cforchildren.org/families/parenting-supports/ - A variety of educational tools to support parents with young children.
- HeadStart - https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/parenting/article/fun-learning-parents-children- activities-handbook - A handbook of activities that parents can do to support early learning in the home.
- Resources for Early Learning - http://resourcesforearlylearning.org/parents/ - A variety of activities that parents can do to support early learning of children ages 0-5.
- NAEYC - https://www.naeyc.org/our-work/for-families - A variety of activities that parents can do to support early learning at home.
- Mr. DeMaio - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeMaio7/featured - A variety of fun and entertaining educational videos for preschoolers.
Literacy and Language
- The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County - https://cinlib.org/2ZcBGif - Ohio residents Can get a free Library card online to access the digital library.
- Storytime - https://www.storylineonline.net/ - Famous actors read books aloud – hundreds of books available!
- Storytime from Space - https://storytimefromspace.com/library/ - Astronauts doing read books aloud from space, multiple languages available.
- Online Library - https://openlibrary.org/ - Free online books for children and adults of all ages in multiple languages.
- Foreign Language Learning - https://www.duolingo.com/ - Free online language learning lessons, featuring multiple languages.
Science and Math
- The Greater Cincinnati STEM Collaborative - https://www.facebook.com/greatercincinnatistemcollaborative/posts/2798825246897847 - Posting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) activities for students of all ages daily at 5:15 pm
- The Cincinnati Zoo - https://www.facebook.com/pg/cincinnatizoo/posts/?ref=page_internal - Posting live lessons every day at 3:00 pm featuring zoo animals.
- Science Lessons - https://mysteryscience.com/school-closure-planning - Free online science lessons for grades K-5 including at-home activities.
- Eureka Math - https://gm.greatminds.org/en-us/knowledgeonthego - Free online math lessons for grades K-8.
- Bedtime Math - http://bedtimemath.org/fun-math-at-home/ - Easy Math lessons that parents can do with kids at home (require limited supplies; some require printing).
- Computer Science - https://studio.code.org/courses - Free online computer science lessons for grades K-12.
Art and Creativity
- Daily Lunch Doodles - https://www.kennedy-center.org/education/mo-willems/ - Free online art sessions with author Mo Willems (author of the Pigeon books, Elephant and Piggie, etc.).
- Finish This Comic - https://jarrettlerner.com/activities/ - Free printable drawing and writing prompts (requires printer and supplies).
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art - https://www.metmuseum.org/art/online-features/metkids/ - Explore the museum and artwork online, including projects and online tutorials.
- McHarper Manor - https://www.facebook.com/McHarperManor/ - Facebook Live art lessons daily at 1:00 pm – do require access to art materials in the home.
- The Metropolitan Opera - https://www.facebook.com/childrensmuseum/ - Posting free nightly opera streams.
- Art for Kids Hub - https://www.artforkidshub.com/ - A variety of free virtual art lessons (supplies required will vary by lesson).
- Melodic Connections - https://www.facebook.com/MelodicConnections/ – Lunchtime Live interactive music lessons every weekday at noon.
- Wild Free and Crafty - https://www.youtube.com/c/WildFreeandCrafty?fbclid=IwAR0PAyr8ee0SYI5x1M8gbMpD0hnr3 MCOJVR_LBbMCV9vcsdXu7bMOHmjn3c – Free online art lessons for children and adults (supply needs vary).
- Jarrett J. Krosoczka—author & illustrator - https://www.youtube.com/studiojjk - Free online art workshops posted every weekday at 2:00 pm.
History and Social Studies
- Virtual Field Trips - https://tinyurl.com/wjpq4lv - Over 30 free virtual field trips that children can explore online.
- Virtual Musum Tours - https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/museums- galleries/museums-with-virtual-tours - Free online tours of 12 famous museums around the world.
- New York Times Learning Network - https://www.nytimes.com/section/learning - Free online learning resources for middle and high school students.
- PBS News Hour - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/2020/03/pbs-newshour-classroom- resources-for-students/ - Free online civics and current events lessons for middle and high school students.
Physical and Mental Health
- GoNoodle - https://www.gonoodle.com/good-energy-at-home-kids-games-and-videos/ - Free online activities and videos for getting up and getting active.
- Boks Kids - https://www.bokskids.org/boks-at-home/ - Free at home resources and videos for phsycial fitness.
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga - YouTube channel featuring a variety of yoga workouts with multiple themes for kids.
- Kids Bop - https://www.youtube.com/user/KidzBopKids - Free YouTube channel featuring a variety of music videos, including dance alongs to encourage physical activity.
- Indoor Exercise Activities - https://mommypoppins.com/newyorkcitykids/25-exercise-games- indoor-activities-for-kids - Lists 25 indoor exercise activities parents can do with their children at home.
Resource Hubs for Multiple Subjects & Age Groups
- Free Online Tutoring - https://www.brainfuse.com/highEd/liveTutoring.asp - Virtual tutors available weekdays from 2:00 – 11:00 pm, made available by The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County.
- Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber - https://www.cincinnatichamber.com/covid-19/covid-19- resources-for-the-community - A compilation of community resources, including resources for parents and children at home.
- Scholastic Learn at Home - https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome.html - A variety of free online lessons including video, online reading, and activities for all grades.
- Khan Academy Kids - https://learn.khanacademy.org/khan-academy-kids/ - Free downloadable app featuring multiple learning games for kids.
- Fluency & Fitness - https://fluencyandfitness.com/register/school-closures/?fbclid=IwAR0cmc- RHlXdVZ6q35VgfJCyA_QjxrNP1OPyjxVLo8tCrLhCkma6Wzr-A_U – Offering 21 days of free online access to multiple reading and math lessons, a video library, etc. usually only accessible to teachers.
- Accessibyte - https://www.accessibyte.com/stay-safe - A variety of free downloadable apps for children who are blind, visually impaired, deaf, have reading difficulties or just want something fun and different.
- Share My Lesson - https://sharemylesson.com/collections/free-online-resources-educators- parents-and-students#free-online-resources-tools-for-communicating-with-teachers-students- parents - A variety of free online lessons for students of all ages.
- The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis - https://www.facebook.com/childrensmuseum/ - Posting daily videos with virtual and in-home activities (some may require supplies).
- KidsActivities.com - https://tinyurl.com/svv9skb – Includes an extensive list of education companies offering free online subscriptions.
- Enrichment Activities for Kids at Home - https://tinyurl.com/rcq9ceq - An exhaustive list of activities that children can do at home, supply needs vary.