Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Individuals and families receive the tools needed to gain financial control of their future.
FREE TAX PREPARATION SERVICE
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) service is a partnership with the Internal Revenue Service, United Way of Greater Cincinnati, and Brighton Center which allows us to offer free income tax preparation in Newport, Florence, and Grant County during the tax return season. Additionally, in the off season free tax preparation is available by appointment only.
Why We Do It
This valuable service helps residents claim Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) benefits and avoid costly commercial tax preparation fees. It is estimated that 1 in 5 families are eligible for the EITC who do not receive it. In 2019, we served 755 households, generating over $900,000 in tax refunds and saving an estimated $250 per return or $186,000 in total filing fees for customers.
Volunteers Are Needed!
- Join this effort to offer free tax preparation to low and moderate-income residents of Northern Kentucky by offering free, quality tax service
- No previous experience is necessary
- Free IRS training and certification is provided to all of our volunteers. Not only will you be giving back as a volunteer – you’ll learn a valuable skill that can be added to your resume.
- Tax Professionals and C.P.A.’s can earn CEU credits for their volunteer work and students can earn Pro Bono / Community Service hours.
- If interested in volunteering, contact Davina Sullivan at (859) 491-8303, Ext. 2315. or email@example.com.
Have your state and federal returns prepared and filed by an IRS certified volunteer. Free for anyone earning less than $64,000.
- For married filing joint, both spouses must be present
- All Forms W-2 and 1099
- Information for other income
- Information for all deductions/credits
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Proof of account for direct deposit of refund
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse, and/or dependents
- Proof of identification for yourself and/or your spouse
- Total paid to daycare provider and their tax ID number
- Birth dates for you, spouse and or dependents on the return
- Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN
- Proof of Health Insurance - Forms 1095-A, B or C (Affordable Health Care Statements)
- For prior years or returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)
Grant County Site – This will be the last day of picking up “drop off” tax returns. This has been moved to Heritage Bank due to NKU closing. The bank is now closing the lobby so this will impact our space moving forward. We contacted everyone and will be posting signs so that individuals know. We will deliver all completed returns next week to those who came in today in Grant County. Moving forward, individuals will need to travel to the Florence site or Newport site.
Florence Site – effective Thursday, March 19th, we will only take drop off returns from 3:00 – 6:00. We will have a table in the entryway of the building collecting returns and reviewing them for accuracy. We will not be processing returns at this site. We will only be accepting drop offs. This will take place every Thursday until April 15th or until another level of shutdowns happen.
Newport Site - effective this Saturday, March 21st we will only accept dropped off returns from 9:00-12:00. We will not be preparing returns while customers wait. This will continue until April 15th or until another level of shutdowns.
MyFreeTaxes is easy, safe, and secure.
No income restrictions, however, there may be a low cost ($15-$50) associated with some tax returns including Schedule C, D, E, and HSA and other
related tax forms.
Comfortable with computers? It’s easy to file from your phone, tablet or computer. Upload a pic of your W-2 & it guides you.
Can be done in less than 60 minutes, saving the $200 that would go to paid tax preparer.
Help Line for MyFreeTaxes Users: 1-866-MY-TX-HELP
For More Information contact:
(859) 491-8303 Ext. 2315