Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Individuals and families receive the tools needed to gain financial control of their future.
FREE TAX PREPARATION SERVICE
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a free tax assistance program offered during the tax season. Individuals can have their taxes completed for free, electronically IRS certified volunteers.
Welcome to the 2023 VITA program! We are operating 3 sites this year; KCC in Florence, CET in Newport, and NKU Center in Grant Co. Appointments are necessary at all locations. Come prepared with all necessary tax documents, as returns will be completed the same day while you wait.
The VITA program offers free tax assistance to individuals who generally earn $80,000 annually or less, those with disabilities, and the elderly who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. This free service often means the difference between paying down debt, staying current on bills, having money in emergency savings, or making critical car/home repairs for families on tight budgets.
Florence Kentucky Career Center - February 2nd - April 13; 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - Click Here To Schedule
Newport - Brighton Center’s Center for Employment Training - January 28th - April 15th; 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - Click Here To Schedule
NKU Grant County Center - 1st and 3rd Wednesday ONLY - February 1st - April 5th; 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Click Here To Schedule
List of items you will need:
- Proof of identification (photo ID) (REQUIRED)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents (REQUIRED)
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check (REQUIRED for Direct Deposit)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B, and C, Health Coverage Statements (If you received insurance through the online marketplace at any point in 2022, you MUST bring your 1095-C or your return WILL be rejected by the IRS)
- Copies of income transcripts from the IRS and state, if applicable
- The following are some common situations that are considered OUT OF SCOPE for VITA, and you will be referred to a paid tax preparer:
- Income from Farming
- Rental Income
- ANY transactions, sale or Trade of Virtual Currency
- Mortgage Assistance Payments (1098-MA)
- Expenses for Business Use of your Home
- Request for Innocent Spouse Relief
Volunteers Are Needed!
- Join this effort to offer free tax preparation to low and moderate-income residents of Northern Kentucky by offering free, quality tax service.
- No previous experience is necessary.
- Free IRS training and certification are provided to all of our volunteers. Not only will you be giving back as a volunteer, you’ll also learn a valuable skill that can be added to your resume.
- Tax Professionals and CPAs can earn CEU credits for their volunteer work, and students can earn Pro Bono / Community Service hours.
- If interested in volunteering, contact email@example.com
Why We Do It
This valuable service helps residents claim Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) benefits and avoid costly commercial tax preparation fees. It is estimated that 1 in 5 families are eligible for the EITC who do not receive it. In 2021, we served 838 households, generating $1,147,080 in tax refunds and saving an estimated $250 per return or $209,500 in total filing fees for customers.