Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Individuals and families receive the tools needed to gain financial control of their future.
FREE TAX PREPARATION SERVICE
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) service is a partnership with the Internal Revenue Service, United Way of Greater Cincinnati, and Brighton Center which allows us to offer free income tax preparation in Newport, Florence, and Grant County during the tax return season. Additionally, in the off season free tax preparation is available by appointment only.
Why We Do It
This valuable service helps residents claim Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) benefits and avoid costly commercial tax preparation fees. It is estimated that 1 in 5 families are eligible for the EITC who do not receive it. In 2020, we served 615 households, generating over $880,000 in tax refunds and saving an estimated $250 per return or $153,000 in total filing fees for customers.
ALL APOINTMENTS FOR 2021 ARE FULL
Due to the COVID 19 and following CDC’s guidelines, we will be offering Free Tax Preparation as a Drop Off Site by Appointment Only.
For more information contact:
(859) 491-8303 Ext. 2217
- For married filing joint, both spouses must be present
- Proof of identification for yourself and/or your spouse
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Notice (ITIN) for you, your spouse, and/or dependents
- Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and/or dependents on the return
- All forms: W-2 and 1099
- Information for “other” income
- Information for all deductions and credits
- Daycare: Providers name, Providers Tax ID number, and total amount paid
- Proof of account for direct deposit
- Copy of last year’s return
- For Prior Year Returns – copies of income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)
Volunteers Are Needed!
- Join this effort to offer free tax preparation to low and moderate-income residents of Northern Kentucky by offering free, quality tax service.
- No previous experience is necessary.
- Free IRS training and certification is provided to all of our volunteers. Not only will you be giving back as a volunteer – you’ll learn a valuable skill that can be added to your resume.
- Tax Professionals and C.P.A.’s can earn CEU credits for their volunteer work and students can earn Pro Bono / Community Service hours.
- If interested in volunteering, contact Davina Sullivan at (859) 491-8303 ext. 2217 or firstname.lastname@example.org.