Neighborhood Based Services
Residents are empowered to have their voices heard and develop a strong, safe, and accepting community thereby improving the quality of their lives.
Community Organizing builds residents’ participation in neighborhood and community affairs by supporting their involvement in government and decision-making that affects their lives. The work is centered on issues chosen by Newport residents and focuses largely on issues that impact their quality of life such as safety, blight, community building, and economic development.
Why We Do It
Residents are empowered to have their voices heard and develop a strong, safe, and accepting community thereby improving the quality their lives. We know that planning is one of the most important processes a community can do to be strong and vibrant. Our purpose is to capture the vision of all residents and community partners and turn their goals into attainable projects. The Center offers support in the planning of these community led initiatives and projects. Community Organizing involves a comprehensive approach including issues impacting the whole community such as safety, schools, parks, health, social services, housing, and much more. Comprehensive community development is vital to improving the quality of life in a neighborhood and is critical for revitalization and maximum impact to make a community strong.
Resident Projects Completed
- Additional bike lane on Route 9 through Newport
- Establishment of Newport Parks renaissance Commission
- Beautify Buena Vista Park
- Smoke Detector Blitz to giveaway and install free smoke detectors in partnership with the Newport Fire Department & American Red Cross
- Planted over 120 trees on the Westside of Newport
- Over 100 residents planned and organized at Trash Bash pick up collecting over 1000 pounds of trash
Current Resident Projects
- Build Newport’s first bicycle “pump track”
- Eliminate “food desert” on the Westside of Newport
- Local Initiative Support Coalition (LISC) Quality of Life Planning Process created ReNewport which continues to carryout the planning process
- Establish community dinners
- Beautification of West Side
- Historic Designation of West Side eligible buildings