Homeward Bound Shelter
Youth are empowered to make a difference in their own lives to develop their full potential.
Homeward Bound Shelter is a 24-hour emergency shelter location in Covington, KY, that provides a safe environment and residential treatment services for runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and dependant youth ages 11-17.
- Intakes are conducted to gather information for eligibility, appropriateness and development of initial service plan
- Provide basic support that includes shelter, food and clothing
- A bio-psycho-social assessment is completed to identify issues
- Treatment Team meets weekly to discuss new admissions, bio-psycho-social, and goals to be addressed in the service plan
- Individual counseling is conducted weekly for each youth
- Crisis Intervention and Referral Services are offered for local non-residential youth and families
- Recreation activities are offered daily and weekly for community recreational activities
- Provide Cultural Diversity activities for shelter youth each month
Why We Do It
Research has shown that adolescents leave home several times with each succeeding departure longer in duration than the previous one, before actually living on the streets. The tendency for youth to be on the streets is largely attributed to the deepening problems many families face. Child abuse is a critical problem facing Northern Kentucky and an additional problem facing victims is the lack of immediate interventions and the accessibility of safe alternative living arrangements. Homeward Bound addresses these issues by providing 24-hour emergency shelter services that can be accessed by victims of abuse.